Sourdough September will return this year, says Real Bread Campaign
The Real Bread Campaign is calling on Real Bread business owners to finalise and share details of their events and activities.
Sourdough September is back! In its 8th year, the Real Bread Campaign’s annual, international celebration of the oldest way of leavening a loaf will help more people globally to discover that a sourdough starter is the gateway to every type of bread on the planet.
This year has seen #LockdownLoafers around the world starting (or resuming) love affairs with sourdough bread, many baking or buying it for the first time. Sourdough September will build on this surge of enthusiasm, particularly encouraging people who’ve only tried one type of bread made using a sourdough starter to buy or bake more types.
Ideas for events/activities (micro)bakeries, baking schools, mills and other businesses/organisations could organise include:
- Giving away (or making a small charge for) pots of sourdough starter
- Showcasing a different genuine sourdough bread each week and offering tasters
- Running a sourdough baking class or Q&A / troubleshooting session
- Organising a social event for people who've attended your sourdough baking classes in the past
- Joining forces with a local brewer, charcutier, pickler and cheese maker to: run a feast of fermentation, create a local food box for people to order online, or lay a local food trail between your shops
Not right for you?
How you use the opportunity (in line with the initiative’s aims) of free publicity and to drive custom for your Real Bread business is up to you. If face-to-face events / activities aren't permitted where you are (or aren't right for you this year) how about running something (eg a baking class or social event) online instead?
Help raise dough for charity
The Real Bread Campaign receives no sponsorship or funding for Sourdough September, so encourages businesses to add an optional suggested doughnation onto customers’ bills. This could be across the board, for a particular product/class, or just pots of starter. Doughnations towards the charity’s work from businesses and individuals are also welcomed.
Sourdough September 2019 saw more than 5,600 social media posts from at least 57 countries. With all the extra interest, this year the Real Bread Campaign is expecting to see many more.
Celebrating the diversity of Real Bread lovers and bakers, everyone around the world is invited to take and share their #SourdoughSelfie of themself with a loaf of genuine sourdough they’ve baked or bought, and other #SourdoughSeptember photos, on social media, tagging the Real Bread Campaign, plus Real Bread businesses as applicable.
- Find out more about Sourdough September
- Download the Sourdough September logo
- Update or create a FREE Real Bread Map listing
- Sign up to use The Real Bread Loaf Mark
- Join the Real Bread Campaign